Thursday, January 26, 2012

Healthy Mocha Cherry Chocolate Cookies - Gluten Free


I ran out of cookies yesterday so I knew it was time to make MORE!  However, I wanted something different, and I didn't want to go to the store to get any ingredients....so I went pantry shopping! :)  I found some dried cherries and dark chocolate chips which got my mind thinking mocha cherry chocolate cookies!  I've never made this flavor before so I was going on complete inspiration.  However, inspiration in this case turned out to be divine!  These are healthy and heavenly!  How does it get any better than that? I started by using my favorite bean and oats "base" which makes a super healthy and flour free treat....then I added in all the yummy flavors of java, cherry and chocolate!  How could anything go wrong with those flavors mingling together? :)  

 


Ingredients:

1 can organic black beans
1 cup old fashioned gluten free oats or 1 cup gluten free flour
2 eggs or egg substitute
3 tablespoons real butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons pure unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon mocha or instant coffee
Sweetener - 1 cup unsweetened applesauce plus 1 tsp pure white stevia powder or 1 cup sweetener of choice
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 chopped walnuts (optional)


Directions:

Preheat oven 350 degrees.
Place all ingredients except the chocolate chips, dried cranberries and walnuts if using in a food processor and process until very smooth. I ran mine for about two minutes. Fold in chocolate chips, cranberries and walnuts.  Using a rounded tablespoon, drop the cookies onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake about 15 minutes or until the cookies are slightly firm and no longer look wet in the center. Rotate pans halfway through. Cool before eating! :) Makes about two dozen cookies.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your combination of flavors sound delicious. Sometimes the best things come from "pantry shopping".

mangiawithmario said...

Hi Alicia! I am stopping by to say hello and visit your blog. And I want to say thank you for the FB friend add. Wow! What a great blog. You do some amazing things with black beans.
The gluten free side of recipes has become a big thing around our home. We have two grandchildren that must have their foods gluten free and we have a friend whose children eat gluten free. So between the households we have eaten and cooked and baked a lot of gluten free. So your cookies are timely. So great job on your post. Your approach is personal and very relevant. Thanks.
Like you, I also write a blog on food but with my musings on life. Please stop by. Maybe follow if you'd like to get regular updates.