Thursday, August 18, 2011

Neapolitan "Ice Cream" Loaf - Dairy Free

I used to stay a couple of weeks at my Grandma's house every summer. These times were filled with water parks, mini golf and Neapolitan ice cream. I ate so much Neapolitan ice cream one summer that I haven't been able to eat it since. :) However, in memory of my Grandma, I celebrate this new healthy twist on my old time favorite.

Ingredients:

8 bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen
2 tablespoons raw cocoa or carob
Raw honey or stevia to taste

Directions:

Place 3 bananas and the vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth. Add stevia to taste if desired. Pour into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper and freeze at least one hour or until hardened. Next, place another three bananas and cocoa in a blender and blend until smooth. Add stevia to taste if desired. Pour over vanilla layer and freeze until hardened. Lastly, place the remaining 2 bananas and the strawberries in a blender and blend until smooth. Add stevia to taste if desired. Pour over chocolate layer and freeze until hardened. Let stand for 5-10 minutes to soften a bit then cut into individual serving portions. The parchment paper allows for easy removal. :)

* The traditional layers place the strawberry layer in the middle which is how the direction have you follow. In the picture, I placed the strawberry in the middle instead.

No comments: